Thursday, 28 November 2013

Die Koffiepot, Clarens

I recently went away with my hubby and parents to the beautiful Drakensburg area.  On a particularly miserable, rainy day, we all decided to take a drive through Golden Gate.  This area is a well preserved, pristine, nature reserve, that separates Harrismit from Clarens in the Free State of South Africa.  The scenery was breath-taking and the lighting was perfect for photographs!  

The most surprising find of the trip was, however, not a mountain range, waterfall or grassy verge, but a quaint coffee shop called "Die Koffiepot" (The Coffeepot).  Here they serve up traditional "Boerekoffie" that consisted of proper coffee brewed from coffee grounds and served with condensed milk and a soft "Anysbeskuit" (Aniseed rusk).  Delicious!  Even their hot chocolate had a cute twist to it!  Best of all was their traditional milktart - layers of milky custard with thin pastry - need I say more?!?  I was pretty impressed with this little coffee shop that we randomly saw a board for on the side of a mountain pass!  Needless to say, it all went down a treat!




No comments:

Post a Comment