Monday, 7 October 2013

Paper piping bags and Nozzles

So I recently "inherited" my dads cake decorating goodies, and boy was I excited!  Imagine all the cakes and cupcakes I could now start "decorating"!  But then I realised I didn't know what most nozzles were used for!  So I turned to trusty Google and found Wilton's page full of nozzles and their uses...!

Round Tips:

Leaf Tips:

Flower Tips:

Basket Weave Tips:

Rose and Specialty Tips:

Star Tips:

Multi-Opening Tips:

Ruffle Tips:

But now comes the problem of having accessible piping bags!  I remember my dad folding his own out of brown paper (the same kind used to cover school books).

How to fold a paper piping bag:

 

Okay, so great now I could get started with icing my cake with Butter Cream icing!  What a disaster it turned out to be!  Turns out paper piping bags are ideal for Royal Icing and not Butter Cream...  So I did some research and apparently a disposable plastic sandwich bag will do the trick, as well as any disposable or reusable shop bought piping bags!  So bring on the cupcakes and cakes!  Will definitely be trying these and other techniques...


The next challenge is to figure out how to make gum-paste and sugar flowers...  But lets stick to mastering the technique of icing first :)

No comments:

Post a Comment