Monday, 21 October 2013

Chicken Sweetcorn Soup

One of our favourite take-out meals is Chicken Sweetcorn Soup!  And soup is always a winner on rainy days like we're having here across South Africa the last couple of days!  So why not make Chicken Sweetcorn Soup?  I have made this soup before when I still lived with my brother and before I got married.  It was a winner with nothing left over in the pot afterwards!

Ingredients:

  • 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 chicken breast per person
  • 1 clove of garlic, chopped.  I like to mash my garlic with the back of my serrated Victorianox knife - I feel that I can extract more flavour out of the garlic in this way.
  • 1 Tablespoon cornflour
  • 600ml chicken stock
  • 1 tin sweetcorn
  • 1 egg
  • 1 Tablespoon lemon juice

Recipe:

  1. Heat the oil and cook the chicken and garlic.
  2. Blend the cornflour and some stock and add this with the remaining stock to the chicken and garlic mixture.
  3. Bring this to the boil and add the sweetcorn.  Stir continuously.
  4. Beat the egg and lemon juice and add this slowly to the soup whilst stirring (this will give you the tendrils you find in the take-out soups).
  5. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment