Friday, 7 February 2014

Paleo Style Stuffed Peppers

I recently took to following a Paleo-style diet, which mainly involves cutting out as many processed and artificial foods as possible.  I was quite surprised by the number of websites out there and the types of food one can actually eat!  One recipe caught my eye - stuffed peppers!  I have always wanted to make these but never really saw the opportunity.  Now, I hate mushrooms (even though my whole life currently revolves around fungi...) so I adapted the recipe to my taste.

Ingredients:

  • Small red and yellow salad peppers
  • 1 head of cauliflower to make 4 peppers
  • Bacon bits
  • Pine nuts (about 2T)
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1T coconut oil
 

Directions:

  1. Start by cutting off the tops of the peppers and removing the seeds and membrane.  Place them in a colander over a pot of boiling water in order to steam the peppers until they are tender.
  2. Mince the garlic and set aside in a bowl.
  3. Fry the bacon bits in the coconut oil until crispy.  Add the bacon bits to the minced garlic.
  4. Fry the pine nuts in the same pan as the bacon bits until golden in colour.  Be careful as they burn rather quickly.
  5. Grate the cauliflower using a box grater or pulse in a food processor.
  6. Add the cauliflower to the pine nuts and add the bacon bits/garlic mixture.  Turn off the heat and allow the cauliflower to cook through, stirring constantly.
  7. Remove the peppers and stuff the peppers with the cauliflower mixture.
  8. Place in an oven proof dish and bake at 180C for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment